ENERGY WEST Inc began serving customers as the Great Falls Gas Company in 1909 when gas lights served by the utility were installed in the original town site of Great Falls. Gas supplies became more plentiful with the completion of a natural gas pipeline in 1928. Residential customers welcomed the opportunity to replace their dirty and inefficient coal furnaces with natural gas for heating their homes.
The Company continued to serve the growing young city over the years. In the 1970's, Great Falls Gas began to implement new conservation services as the nation and its people became more energy conscious. Energy audits, low interest loans and installation of insulation become regular services.
In 1983, Great Falls Gas begain a new era when it moved into larger office space in the remodeled Great Northern Railroad depot building. Offices for the original utility and its reorganized parent, ENERGY WEST, remain in this building today
In 1993, the corporation adopted the name ENERGY WEST to more clearly reflect an organization operating utilties and propane sales businesses in three states.